Lifestyle factors can cause heart palpitations. Less frequently, an underlying medical condition is responsible. Palpitations can result from the following conditions, and they require a doctor’s care:
- thyroid problems
- abnormal heart rhythms, known as arrhythmias
- atrial fibrillation
- heart failure, in rare cases
Home remedies to relieve heart palpitations
The following methods can help to reduce palpitations.
1. Perform relaxation techniques
Stress can have many ill effects on a person’s health. It can induce palpitations or make them worse.
It may help to try the following relaxation techniques:
- deep breathing
- spending time outdoors
- taking short breaks from work or school
- using a method of guided imagery
2. Reduce or eliminate stimulant intake
Symptoms may become noticeable after using a stimulant.
The following contain stimulants:
- tobacco products
- illegal drugs
- some cold and cough medications
- caffeinated beverages such as coffee, tea, and soda
- appetite suppressants
- some mental health drugs
- some high blood pressure medications
Not all stimulants will cause palpitations in everyone.
Subscribe to our email newsletter to get the latest posts delivered right to your email.